DELIGHTFULLY DELICIOUS DISHES prepared by V. Camille Thomas. Delivery or Pick-up

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving - What's for Dinner?


My Sister Rhonda, "Ma-main-na",
& Me in the 60s
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. I am cooking a Thanksgiving feast for my family and a few friends. I am very excited because my sister, Rhonda, is here visiting us from Cleveland, Ohio.
In the Thomas household, we have established a tradition of sharing what we are thankful for before we eat. We go around the table allowing each person to testify of God's goodness. Isn't that what Thanksgiving about---celebrating God's goodness. I have so much to be grateful for. Salvation, My husband and family, my church family, sanity of mind, decent health, and more.

I'm also thankful that I have memories. Each Thanksgiving, my grandmother, Momma Anna (we called her Ma-main-na because as kids, we couldn't speak well. LOL)  prepared gumbo, meats, vegetables and delectable desserts for our Thanksgiving family gatherings. How I remember eating those hot buttered rolls. back then, cooks did not measure the ingredients.

During Ma-main-na's life, I was too young and/or not interested in kitchen activity. I wish she would have penned her fabulous recipes. All of her treasured recipes are lost, never again to be duplicated. However, this has inspired me to begin writing down some of my recipes so that I can pass along my culinary skills to my children and generations to come.

Ma-main-na proved to be the thread that held the family together. After her death, much of our family scattered and.or lost touch. Her sister, "Aunt Lillian" carried the tradition of hosting the Thanksgiving Family Gathering. for the few who remained in contact.


My Grandmother's sisters Lillian & Alma sitting.
My cousin Paulette standing. All are deceased.
Circa Late  70s
My 2010 menu (stay tuned for links to recipes and pics):
Meats: Ham, Baked Turkey (injected with Cajun Seasoning)
Sides: Green Beans, Seafood Pie, Stuffed Peppers, Macaroni & Cheese, Candied Yams, Cornbread dressing & gravy
Bread: Dinner Rolls
Dessert: Chess Pie, Sweet Potato Pie

My Thanksgiving plate---I couldn't eat it all

No comments:

Post a Comment